[TriLUG] OT: Router then Firewall

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Fri May 26 11:50:59 EDT 2006

Rick DeNatale wrote:

> On 5/26/06, Aaron S. Joyner <aaron at joyner.ws> wrote:
>
>> Tanner Lovelace wrote:
>

>> > Now, here is the question?  How does it know what IP addresses
>> > to give for trilug.org.  If you know the address of a nameserver for
>> > trilug.org you can query that to get it's list of nameservers, but
>> > generally the root nameservers do *not* do that.  So, where do they
>> > get the list of nameservers for any given domain?  The answer is
>> > given by Aaron's mention above of "as a database maintained
>> > by the registrars".  That's where the nameserver fields in whois
>> > information goes.  If you change that information, Verisign, who
>> > runs the root nameservers, updates the root nameservers with
>> > that information from whois every 12 hours.
>

>> Very spot on here.  While reading this message, my hair was standing on
>> end a few times, in particular the assertion that verisign queries the
>> whois databases to fill in the glue in the zone data was particularly
>> alarming.  :)
>

> But I still don't believe that that's what actually happens, or what
> happens in general.  As I posted a few days ago, Verisign provides
> registrars with a non-public API and code to implement it under a
> contract, and under an non-disclosure clause.  The template for the
> contract is available on the ICANN site.

Yes, in summary to what all has been said, I agree.  There is a separate
protocol for registrar to registry communications, which a registrar
like GoDaddy can use to update the registry provider like Verisign, of
what details should be available in the DNS zones.  The mechanisms for
handling whois data can be part of this protocol (as is the case for
.org, who maintains the whois data on a server which they themselves
run), or it can be separate and the whois server can provide a reference
/ redirect back to the source registrar (ala GoDaddy) in order to allow
the client to talk directly back to the source.  Regardless, whois is
not directly involved in the providing of the DNS zone data to a
resolver, and equally regardless, even if it were the source of the zone
information as Tanner originally described, it would be more
authoritative to ask the name server, to cover a potentially stale / out
of date situation between the name server and the whois server.

Aaron S. Joyner