[TriLUG] ppc linux performance.

Steven Blanchard sgblanch at gmail.com
Fri May 26 17:15:30 EDT 2006

On 5/26/06, Wing D Lizard <wingedlizard at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> I'm using vmware on winxp box for a cross compiler that only runs on fc4
> ( don't ask).
>
> I may be able to get a real ppc box for the compiler ( bypassing
> vmware). But I'm wondering
> if this will really help my performance ( compiling code).
>
> Who's using linux on ppc?  what cpu and what bogomips?  How long does it
> take to
> compile the stock kernel?
>
> I'm fairly impressed with fc4 via vmware on winxp.
>

> thx.
>>
> --

These numbers come from my 3+ year old laptop running debian. The
.config was generated by menuconfig (no changes). Kinda slow, but my
customized config usually runs about 20 min.  How does it stack agains
the cross compiler?

~Steven

sgblanch at alexandria:/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.16$ time make-kpkg kernel_image
real    75m4.737s
user    66m21.676s
sys     6m56.311s

clock           : 1000.000000MHz
revision        : 0.2 (pvr 8001 0302)
bogomips        : 99.40
timebase        : 33330920
machine         : PowerBook3,5
motherboard     : PowerBook3,5 MacRISC2 MacRISC Power Macintosh
detected as     : 80 (PowerBook Titanium IV)
pmac flags      : 0000001b
L2 cache        : 256K unified
pmac-generation : NewWorld