[TriLUG] Problem with Debian Etch

Cristobal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Sun May 28 22:15:43 EDT 2006

It's hard to say what your problem might have been without more
detail. Did you compile your own kernel? Is this a 64 bit system?

-CMP

On 5/28/06, Nick <trilug at dogstar1.com> wrote:
> Steven Blanchard wrote:
>
> > On 5/27/06, Nick <trilug at dogstar1.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hey everyone, I have been having a problem with Etch and was wondering
> >> if anyone else has run into this issue?
> >>
> >> After updating the initial install, the boot process hangs at "Begin:
> >> waiting for root file system"
> >>
> >> I have repeated the install twice with the same results. Upon searching
> >> for answers the only thing I found is the following:
> >>
> >>         I edited the file "/etc/kernel-img.conf" to add the line:
> >>         ramdisk = /usr/sbin/mkinitrd.yaird
> >>         And then regenerated the initrd image.
> >>         dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-2.6.16-1-amd64-8-smp
> >>         And I could boot. It seems this is an error while creating
> >>         the initrd image.
> >>
> >> As this situation stretches my limited abilities I tried following these
> >> directions (dubious as they look to me) by using Knoppix but I was
> >> unsuccessful.
> >>
> >> Any feedback would be appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Nick
> >>

> > Does your computer have SATA?  I ran into similar problems at work
> > with a machine.  The problem was that under sarge's kernel the SATA
> > drive showed up as regular IDE (hda). With the newer kernel in etch,
> > SATA shows up as a scsi device (sda).  To boot, I had to update the
> > fstab and grub.conf by hand.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > ~Steven
>
> Thanks but no SATA. I tried this on a different machine with the same
> results. I have the server in question running bare-bones Ubuntu without
> any problems now. However I am still curious about the problem. Perhaps
> it is the testing source I added? This would be the first time testing
> actually caused me any problems though.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Nick

Cristobal M. Palmer
UNC-CH SILS Student
TriLUG Vice Chair
cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
cmpalmer at ils.unc.edu
ils.unc.edu/~cmpalmer
"Television-free since 2003"

< crimsun> the running joke among the Ubuntu archive staff is that we
should name the hosts after Aztec deities for great
can't-remember-how-to-spell-or-pronounce justice
< crimsun> ssh xuihtecuhtli