[TriLUG] Wireless security connundrum

Josh Vickery josh at vickeryj.com
Mon May 29 10:09:35 EDT 2006

The simplest solution I can think of it to require WEP on the access
point.  The Aironet may not support MAC filtering, but I suspect it
supports WEP.  WEP may not be very good protection, but neither is MAC
filtering.  Even on a WEP or WPA network wireless clients broadcast
their MAC addresses in the clear, and MAC addresses are not difficult
to spoof/copy.

The next simplest solution would probably be to replace your wireless
access points with one of the Linux running flashable Linksys routers.
 I've not run one myself, but plenty of people on the list have had
good success with them.
http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/LinksysWrt54g

Alternately you could use your Aironet behind some sort of routing
device  You say you don't want to add anything to your rack, but
perhaps you can make use of something that is already there.  All you
need is a computer with 2 network interfaces.

If you decide to go the router route, the simplest solution I can
think of is an "authenticating gateway."  This would not keep people
off of your access point (unless you ran it on the access point
itself) but it would keep them from moving beyond the wireless.
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Authentication-Gateway-HOWTO.html

Alternately, you could run a VPN server and require wireless clients
to pass through that to get beyond the WAP.  This is more complicated,
but has the advantage of being able to encrypt all of your wireless
traffic in a rather robust way.
http://openvpn.net/

Josh