[TriLUG] Some basic * questions

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Jun 1 23:45:58 EDT 2006

Come on now, Mark! We have a lot to add to a conversation like this
(when we aren't too busy deploying Asterisk in the *Real World* to read
the list...)

Aaron is quite correct... academically... about bandwidth used by G711
and G729 codecs. However in the real world we see rates of around 12 to
20 kbs for typical G729 connections. In fact we regularly use 20kbs as
our benchmark and we have never overshot that mark. 12kbs is much more
typical.

I'm sure Aaron knows why the real world scenario is much less - and I'll
give him a moment of silence to illuminate us! :-)

On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 12:29, Mark Turner wrote:
> Yeah ... what he said!
>
> Mark
>
> Aaron S. Joyner wrote:
> > Mark Turner wrote:
> >
> >> Comments below.

> [miscellaneous geek-prize-winning wisdom snipped]

A link - submitted for your approval.
(and hidden at the end of the email):

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/788/pkt-voice-general/bwidth_consume.htm

Jon