[TriLUG] Some basic * questions

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Fri Jun 2 00:53:52 EDT 2006

Jon Carnes wrote:

>Come on now, Mark! We have a lot to add to a conversation like this
>(when we aren't too busy deploying Asterisk in the *Real World* to read
>the list...)
>
>Aaron is quite correct... academically... about bandwidth used by G711
>and G729 codecs. However in the real world we see rates of around 12 to
>20 kbs for typical G729 connections. In fact we regularly use 20kbs as
>our benchmark and we have never overshot that mark. 12kbs is much more
>typical.
>
>I'm sure Aaron knows why the real world scenario is much less - and I'll
>give him a moment of silence to illuminate us! :-)

So where are you measuring that 20kbs?  If you're measuring it as 20kbs
of layer2 bandwidth consumed (ie. ethernet frames, what ifconfig,
iptables, or the interface counters on a switch or router will show
you), you'll see I cited the upper bound as 23.2kb/s.  This accounts for
the MAC header as well as the IP/UDP header.  The reason you're probably
seeing 12kbs as a low-end average is things like VAD or G.729b (aka
silence suppression) that knocks out about 50% of the bandwidth for your
average conversation.

Aaron S. Joyner