[TriLUG] usb boot a storage server

David Brain dbrain at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 22:20:56 EDT 2006

How about Gentoo

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Small_Footprint_Gentoo_on_USB

Plenty of room for tweaking there (-:

Actually  I've no  tried making a usb version, but I have made a few
custom boot CDs (based on both Gentoo & Slackware) - and it isn't all
that hard, just a matter of remastering the image with whatever config
tweaks you need in place  (or pull them down from a web server, mount
over nfs etc..etc..).  A CD image might not be a bad place to start
for a flash image as (obviously) they can't be writing to the media.

David.