[TriLUG] Problem with LVM

T. Bryan tbryan at python.net
Sat Jun 3 19:14:51 EDT 2006

I put this project on the back shelf for a bit.  Now that I'm ready for it, I
invoke the Necromancer to resurrect this thread...

On Monday 01 May 2006 11:47 am, Rick DeNatale wrote:

> Here are the steps I took to move my root to an LVM on top of raid.
> I've copied this from the ticket I created for the job in request
> tracker, and have edited it slightly. I was quite cautious with this
> plan since I was migrating the root filesystem, which I don't think
> you are doing.
>
> 1) Partition /dev/sdb like /dev/sda

In this step, what did you do?  Say that I use fdisk to create a whole-disk
partition on my drive /dev/hde.  What partition type should I set?  Do I need
to create a filesystem on it (with mkfs.ext3, for example), or is all of that
somehow taken care of by lvm?

> 2) Create the raid array with a missing drive
> $mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level 1 --raid-devices=2 missing /dev/sdb5
>
> 3) Create a PV on the raid array
> $pvcreate /dev/md0
>
> 4) create a VG
> $vgcreate MainVG /dev/md0

Right...so, what was /dev/sdb5?  Was it an unformatted partition?  Or did you
first format it as an ext2 or ext3 filesystem?

Maybe that's in the HOWTO for RAID or LVM, but then I've looked for it and
missed it a couple of times.  Perhaps it's supposed to be obvious, but I'm
paranoid.  After the problems I had before, I'm rebuilding the RAID and LVM
from scratch.  Since I never figured out how I ended up with a broken
configuration, I don't want to repeat some mistake in setting this up again.

Thanks,
---Tom