[TriLUG] OT: looking for a UPS

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Jun 6 21:24:24 EDT 2006

I have a couple of old UPS's which are a major pain to
replace the batteries every 2yrs so I've just let the
batteries die. As well I've had a power loss and near
lightning strik in the last week which have blown ports on
ethernet switches and killed a UPS (as well as tripping the
ground fault protected circuits in the house).

I'm looking for a UPS where every 2yrs I can change the
batteries easily (just a little more complicated than
changing a flashlight or changing a car battery would be
OK). The ones I have now I have take out the screws, wrestle
the case halves, apart unwire the batteries and then reverse
the process. I have one design that the whole UPS falls
apart when you unscrew it and you need zero gravity or to be
a gymnast to get it all together again. It shouldn't have to
be that way. Better would be - pop open a cover - pull out
the batteries, unwire the batteries and the reverse.

I'm looking for UPSs that will power 2 desktops for 10-15
mins (just enough to shut them down if it appears the power
isn't coming back).

Any recommendations for a UPS?

I was hoping Batteries Plus had UPS's but they appear to
only carry batteries.

Any recommendations for a vendor?

Thanks Joe