[TriLUG] proxy / kiosk question

Byarlay, Wayne A. wab at purdue.edu
Thu Jun 8 10:29:53 EDT 2006

Hi All,

I'm googling this, as any good admin should, but it's an area I figured
some quick brain at TriLUG would be willing to point me to a quicker,
cleaner solution.

Situation: I have many public WinXP Kiosk machines, with IE as the only
thing a walk-up customer can access. I would like this IE to be using a
Proxy, so that if they try to access anything other than *.mydomain.edu,
it points them to kiosk.mydomain.edu.

I am familiar with Apache, and have a few linux machines running a few
Apache servers, but I've not done a Proxy before. Is this the proper
method to do such a thing? (A proxy, as opposed to something else?) If
so what proxy would you recommend and can you additionally post a URL
that explains how to set up such a thing?

Like I said earlier I am also googling this, but even if you point me in
the approximate general direction, I will... be thankful.

WAB