[TriLUG] external hdtv

Stan Briggs stan at StanBriggs.com
Thu Jun 8 17:29:30 EDT 2006

michael,

my experience is tainted, admittedly, but i would like to help set your
expectations.

i used a (mediocre) external antennae that i routed with coax to the top of
my house (literally to the peak, outside). (my hdtv has a coax connection
for antennae hd signals.) during the daylight hours my reception was
basically non-existent. during the evenings i got some great signal. (this
is how i watched the ncaa men's basketball championship.)

you can expect better results if you use a better antennae, i'm sure. best
of luck to you.

my $.02,
stan

-----Original Message-----
From: trilug-bounces at trilug.org [mailto:trilug-bounces at trilug.org] On Behalf
Of Michael Hrivnak
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2006 5:25 PM
To: trilug at trilug.org
Subject: [TriLUG] external hdtv

I'd like to buy an hdtv tuner that uses usb or firewire, and I'd like it to
work in both linux and OSX.  Does such a thing exist?  I've been searching
through product reviews, forums, and such quite a bit, but so far I can't
find an account of one working in linux.  What suggestions do you have?  It
would sure be nice to take advantage of the free hdtv broadcasts!

Thanks,
Michael