[TriLUG] proxy / kiosk question

Blanchard Steven sgblanch at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 21:29:47 EDT 2006

I think I have seen solutions which use a combination of DNS
wildcards and 302 redirects.  This would prevent anyone from removing
the proxy to circumvent the system.

Basically, DNS would return the ip of kiosk.mydomain.edu for any host
not in *.mydomain.edu.  The webserver on kiosk.mydomain.edu would
have a wildcard virtual domain that redirects all traffic to the
kiosk.mydomain.edu virtual domain which actually serves the content.

The general concept shares ideas with a "captive portal" so you might
want to look at solutions offered in that arena.

Also, depending on the network topology of your intranet, you might
be able to get by without a default gateway.

Cheers,
Steven