[TriLUG] Tip: Breakage of X caused by aptitude updates

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Fri Jun 9 08:57:11 EDT 2006

Maybe I'm the last one in line to encounter this problem and an apparent
working solution, but I thought I'd post this for posterity (and give
smarter, wiser folks the opportunity to say "YOU MORON!  What were you
thinking?!")

So.  Latest wave of updates to x11, particularly xorg, come with a
warning saying something along the lines of "Some users have reported
this breaks X completely!"  Well, now I'm one of the affected.  I found
that issuing the following dpkg command will get the chink out of the
way that keeps all of the rest of X from updating / installing correctly:

% dpkg --install --force-configure-any --force-overwrite
/var/cache/apt/archives/x11-common-_version-stuff-just-use-tab-complete_.deb

Seemingly, without the force-configure-any, x11-common dies, complaining
that /usr/include/X11 is missing, and without --force-overwrite (in my
case at least) complains about overwriting a
/usr/X11/bin/somethingorother that's also part of Motif.

With x11-common taken care of, all the other myriad x11 / xorg packages
click into place via pressing "g" in aptitude.

Hope this helps somebody, or helps me if it happens again!  ha.

Cheers,
~Brian