[TriLUG] Fwd: NC*SA Meeting Tonight, June 12th - System Administration, Professionalism, and the State of the Profession

Liyun Yu yu at radonc.unc.edu
Mon Jun 12 09:02:56 EDT 2006

The next meeting of the North Carolina System Administrators

organization (NC*SA) is tonight, June 12th, 2006. Details about the
meeting are provided in this note.  We hope to see you there!

                 NC*SA General Meeting
           7:00 pm Monday, June 12, 2006
                   MCNC, Building #3
               Research Triangle Park, NC
    *** Note that meetings are no longer held at RTI ***

Topic: System Administration, Professionalism, and the State of the Profession
Speaker: Mr. David Parter - League of Professional System Administrators (LOPSA)

Sponsors:  MCNC - http://www.mcnc.org
         TriLUG - http://www.trilug.org

Abstract:

      In this talk I will explore IT System Administration as a
profession: What is IT System Administration? What is the
state of the Art? What is the State of the Profession? I will also
look at some issues common to System Administrators at many sites,
and some solutions.

      The terms "System Administrator" and "System Administration" are
sometimes seen as limited to a particular family of operating
systems, and in fact, to compters. That is not the case: What we as
IT professionals do in terms of support, planning, and
administration of IT systems (regardless of operating system, and
including network devices and services) is to serve the IT needs of
our organization. The specifics may vary from one device, operating
system or software system, but the core of our job, and the issues
we face are the same.

Biography:

      David has been a system administrator at the University of Wisconsin
Computer Science Department since 1991, serving as Associate
Director of the Computer Systems Lab since 1995.  At the Lab he has
worked as a manager; been involved in campus committees; and
collaborated with other groups on campus. In the CS Department he
works with faculty, staff and graduate students to support and
contribute to their research projects. He also trains, manages and
work with undergraduate students who work in the lab.  Areas of
responsibility and experience include policy development, security,
network administration, liaison with the research projects, and a
technical leadership role for the lab staff overall. At various
times he have been part-time staff to specific research projects.

David is currently on the Board of Directors of LOPSA, The League of
Professional System Administrators.

Our meetings are free and open to anyone with an interest in the topic
of the evening and/or system administration.  We will be providing food
and drink for the evening. If you have any questions please contact the
Steering Committee at:

ncsa-steer at ncsysadmin.org