[TriLUG] apache 2.2 & 500 errors

Scott Lundgren trilug at capitalfellow.com
Wed Jun 14 10:35:14 EDT 2006

has anyone really had their hands into Apache 2.2 ? I'm testing moving
some hosts from 2.0 to 2.2 and I'm seeing some behaviour I don't
understand.

On my 2.2 server I am serving one host but it is set up as a virtualhost.
It works perfectly fine in all cases but where I deliberately cause a 500
server error.

Here's is the weirdness. I move the sample printenv to printenv.cgi,
change the ownership to the the appache user and permissions to 755.
Request http://testing.server.edu/cgi-bin/printenv.cgi and the server's
environment variables print out to the browser as expected. When I remove
the ; from line 10 and request the URL what gets sent to the browser is an
HTML error document that is not interpretted by the browser. HTML markup
is displayed. The markup and content do NOT match an unprocessed
HTTP_INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR.html.var. Where could this uninterpreted
document be coming from ?

I know  I have multi-language error documents set correctly because when I
make a request for http://testing.server.edu/cgi-bin/foo a server parsed
version of HTTP_NOT_FOUND.html.var is displayed in the browser. I verify
the content and the HTML markup of what is in the browser matches the .var
document.

Thanks for any direction you can give,
Scott