[TriLUG] OT: String.h in g++ around Redhat 5.0

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri Jun 16 15:58:22 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 13:02 -0400, Owen Berry wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 12:27:50PM -0400, Guthrie, Joshua L CIV NAVAIRDEPOT wrote:
> > I've just made the mistake of assuming the compilers hadn't changed all
> > that much (besides, I'm not really doing much of anything fancy).
>
> I think it would have been a fairly safe assumption to make in most
> cases. However, in this case, you seem to be straddling the time frame
> during which C++ was standardized. The language changed, so the
> compilers changed.

Hi Owen,

Very true!  The number and scope of C++ changes were *much* larger
during the 90s than they are today.  But even so, I know of a handful of
C++ codes (ones that we care about because we use them!) that needed a
bit of work to compile even for the relatively recent g++ 3.4.x to 4.0.x
and 4.0.x to 4.1.x transitions.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
emails:  eh3 at mit.edu                ed at eh3.com
phone:   617-253-0098
fax:     617-253-4464