[TriLUG] two root users (was: Re: hello and mysql help please)

Rob Wagner robert.blick at duke.edu
Sun Jun 18 12:52:27 EDT 2006

A brief note - the reason MySQL installs two 'root' users is because of unreliability (or inconsistency) with how the host reports its hostname.  You should have two root users: one with hostname = 'localhost' and the other with hostname = 'some_hostname' (whatever your hostname really is).  MySQL differentiates the two; sometimes your client (whatever it may be) may try to log in as root at localhost and other times it may be root at some_hostname.  Furthermore, whenever you change root's password, make sure you change both entries in the mysql.user table.

Did you solve your initial problem?  Look up starting MySQL w/ skip-grant-tables to replace a forgotten root password.

Cheers!
Rob