[TriLUG] Flaking PSU?

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Mon Jun 19 17:10:21 EDT 2006

Hi Gang,
   I suspect this is a flaky PSU problem, but I thought I'd drop it on
the list to see if anyone else has other insight:

Just built a brand-spankin'-new server in one of those handsome (and
quite well-built) I-Star 4U rack cases.  Came with a 350W PSU.  In it, I
have:

A PC-Chips Socket-A motherboard (*cringe*, I know..  wanted Socket A)
A Duron 1.8 CPU
512 MB PC3200 RAM (started out at 1024MB, but one stick went bad after a
week...Kingston ValueRAM, which I thought was good stuff...)
A $20 AGP video card
A WDC 40GB 7200RPM IDE HD
A TDM400P with one FXO and one FXS module.

Doesn't seem like that should be a big power-hungry monster right there.
  But the strangest (and highly irritating) thing happens:  Apparently
at random, the machine powers off with a *click*, and refuses to come
back on until after I've turned off the PSU's main switch (essentially
pulling the plug), waited 10 or 20 seconds or so, and turned it back on
(at which point the BIOS power-loss setting makes the machine turn on
immediately).

I'm going to swap out a known-good PSU tomorrow, but in the mean time, I
thought I'd check to see if anyone might pipe up and say "Oh, I know
what causes that, and it's actually not a bad PSU...".

At any rate, my high esteem for NewEgg is gradually slipping...

Cheers,
~Brian