[TriLUG] Flaking PSU?

Kevin Flanagan kevin at flanagannc.net
Tue Jun 20 06:25:00 EDT 2006

Brian,

    It's a common thing, and I didn't mean to give you a hard time, but
rather a good conversation.  It seems like you are thinking along the
right track.  There's nothing like a bad experience to focus the minds
of management. ;')
I think that you'll find that you can get a fairly decent server for
much less than $3K, the pricing isn't here, but I would expect this kind
of system to be under $2K, this is likely a lot more horsepower than you
built as well.
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/ss/WF05a/15351-241434-241475-241475-f78-446006.html
- Use the vendor web sites language to your advantage, it's not
plagiarizing when you are using their words for the same purpose ;')
- Search out other info from non vendor sites, Mean Time Between Failure
numbers for branded servers should be out there.
- Use desktop type hardware for your test environment, I know, that's
another sales job.
- There's plenty of folks here who will be glad to help you with making
that case to management for the better gear.  Perhaps we could work to
help you put together a presentation that will help set new course for
future stuff.

It'll take time, but you'll make progress.

    Good luck,

          Kevin