[TriLUG] Flaking PSU?

James Brigman jbrigman at nc.rr.com
Tue Jun 20 08:15:29 EDT 2006

I'm with Jason on this - I'd be looking mighty hard at that PCCHIPS
motherboard. I've had some tough luck stories with PCCHIPS products, and
your comment about the "failed Kingston ValueRAM" makes me suspect even
more.

Yank everything from the case: drives, motherboard, PSU, vid card, etc.
and put it out on a table. then "re-build" the PC from it's guts right
out on the table. Start with just the mbd/cpu/ram/vid (if it's got
built-in vid, leave off the vid card) and see if you get a boot to BIOS.
Then leave it sit, running, just at the BIOS level for at least several
hours, 24 if possible, to see if it barfs.

If it barfs, then you have a limited set of components to have to swap
out. Frankly, I'd start by swapping out the mbd. and jamming cpu/ram
into the alternate. But yes, it's possible you could find it's the PSU.
350W units these days can be pretty cheap. But for the load you're
putting on it, it would have to be MIGHTY wimpy or simply defective to
fail.

By the way, what IS the brand name on the PSU?

JKB