[TriLUG] fscking problem!

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Wed Jun 21 07:38:54 EDT 2006

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006, Jason wrote:

> root at 1[~]# fsck  /dev/ida/c0d0p6
> fsck 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
> e2fsck 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
> The filesystem size (according to the superblock) is 2965136 blocks
> The physical size of the device is 977156 blocks
> Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt!
> Abort<y>?

I don't know either. There are other superblocks on the disk
which you can find with one of the e2fs utilities. Try the
fsck with these. If they all agree, then you must have a bad
partition table.

It's unlikely that the partition table was messed up with a
bad shutdown.

Is the disk valuable? If so, make a dd copy of it to another
disk and mess with the copy.

Joe