[TriLUG] keyboard/mouse mapping question

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Fri Jun 23 06:17:52 EDT 2006

OK, I know usually in X one uses ZAxisMapping "4 5" to enable the mouse
wheel.

My keyboard (logitech) and mouse (also logitech) both have wheels.  For
some reason, the keyboard wheel is the only one that responds to the
ZAxisMapping, even though the ZAxisMapping is in the *mouse* section of my
xorg.conf file (!?!?).

Relevant sections:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Keyboard 1"
    Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse 1"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

You'll notice that I have "6 7" instead of "4 5" in a failed attempt to
enable both wheels.  At some point this morning in my efforts, I had "4 5
6 7" and for about 2 minutes it actually had both wheels working.  Then
for some reason, it went back to its old behavior.

Any suggestions for how to make this work properly permanently?  I know
it's doable because I've seen it work for extended periods in Red Hat and
Mandrake; however I don't have any applicable configuration information to
reference.

--
William Sutton