[TriLUG] playing ogg sound files with firefox

Joseph E. ODoherty joey at odoherty.net
Sun Jun 25 13:15:45 EDT 2006

Hi Joe,

> In preferences/download at the bottom there is an option to
> associate file extensions with an executable. However when
> you open the window, you can only change the executable for
> already known file extensions. I can't find anywhere to add
> ".ogg" and a player for ogg files.

I _think_ that in recent versions of Firefox unknown filetypes cause a
prompt when you download them for the first time. However I do remember
at times being thwarted by a filetype defaulting to download and being
unable to figure out how to associate the filetype with the desired action.

The best solution I've found found is an extension called mime-type
editor. It's an older extension (possibly unmaintained) that gives you a
new menu-item for associating mimetypes and actions. I'm not completely
sure of how well it plays with the regular filetype dialog box, but it's
worth a shot.

see: http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=179

Incidentally, I personally prefer to use mplayer and the mozilla
mplayer-plugin.

best,
/joeyo

--
pub  1024D/B663781B 2001-11-13 Joey O'Doherty <joey(at)odoherty(dot)net>
     Key fingerprint = F76B 9ACA 4197 C707 6E4D  2B78 E430 101A B663 781B

     The sad fact is that "national security" has become the root password
     to the Constitution. -- Phil Karn