[TriLUG] What is the best graphical debugger for C++ in linux

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 28 08:08:25 EDT 2006

Ralph Blach wrote:
> I am trying to use ddd to debug C++, and have found it not as good
> in displaying classes as I would like.
>
> Are there any better graphical debuggers for linux that do a better job
> than ddd ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Chip

Hi Chip,

What problems are you having displaying classes with DDD?

If you are compiling with g++ using only the "-g" flag, the problem may
be the limited symbol tables that "-g" generates.  This does not provide
sufficient information to debug into an inherited method, for example.

If you use a debugging flag that provides a more comprehensive symbol
table specific to GDB, you will find that debuggers that wrap gdb are
much more useful for C++.  I use "-ggdb3" instead of "-g" and it works
much better.

DDD is way ahead of the other graphical debuggers I've used.  If you
haven't looked at the GDB Settings dialog in DDD (on the Edit Menu) it
provides many options for fine tuning C++ debugging.  After modifying
them, you need to select "Save Options" (same menu) in order to have DDD
keep the changes.

Enjoy,

     Scott C.