[TriLUG] acessing remote character devices

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Wed Jun 28 12:17:26 EDT 2006

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, Alan Porter wrote:

> Is there some quick-n-dirty way to open a character device
> on a remote machine as if it were local?

The beowulfers do something like this. All processes on the
worker nodes appear on the master node (eg in top). Instead
of /proc you have /bproc. The idea is to make the beowulf
look as much like a single system image machine as possible.
What they do with the devices on each machine I don't know.
However the beowulfers are the most likely to know if it's
been done.

Another approach is mosix, which can start a job on one
machine and migrate it to another. Each machine then has to
know something about other machines (open file handles etc),
and possibley they know about the devices on other machines
too.

Joe