[TriLUG] netcat - must be doing something stupid

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 14:05:44 EDT 2006

Very good point..the plot thickens:

Machine A: netcat 192.168.x.x 3555
Machine B: nc -l -p 3555

If I try to send a simple "hello world" between the two machines with the
server on OS X and the client on Knoppix the "hello world" never makes it.

However if I switch them around:

Machine A: netcat -l -p 3555
Machine B: netcat 192.168.15.1999 3555

I can send "hello worlds" back and forth as expected.

So it looks like, for whatever reason, I'll have to have the knoppix box
grab the socket and write to it with Machine B (the os x box) as the
client.  Why?  Dunno.  Just is.  I'll see how that works out.

Greg