[TriLUG] Slightly OT: CPU Bad?

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 30 09:26:27 EDT 2006

Hello Brian,

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but if you haven't yet looked up
the Athlon XP Core technologies your motherboard supports, you will need
to make certain that the one you bought is one of the supported
varieties.  For example, a motherboard that supports the Athlon XP
Thoroughbred may not support the Palomino, and so forth.  This is
because the voltages required for the different core technologies differ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athlon#Athlon_XP

On my previous computer, I purchased the fastest processor that was
compatible with the MSI Master K7 motherboard - an Athlon XP Palomino
2100.  Unfortunately this processor had very high cooling requirements
and was barely stable enough to be useful.  It worked much better with
the previous 1800.

You also need to make certain you have sufficient cooling on the CPU.
Athlon XPs run hot and require very good heat sinks & fans.

Good luck,

Scott C.