[TriLUG] Slightly OT: CPU Bad?

Brian Blater (BBList) bblist at ridetta.org
Fri Jun 30 10:26:43 EDT 2006

Scott Chilcote <scottchilcote at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Hello Brian,
>
> I don't know if this is helpful or not, but if you haven't yet looked up
> the Athlon XP Core technologies your motherboard supports, you will need
> to make certain that the one you bought is one of the supported
> varieties.  For example, a motherboard that supports the Athlon XP
> Thoroughbred may not support the Palomino, and so forth.  This is
> because the voltages required for the different core technologies differ.

I thought about this also, but the asus documentation states my board will support both the Athlon XP 2200+ Thorton or Thoroughbred since I have the PCB version 1.05 and BIOS 1007. This processor is the Thoroughbred model 8.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athlon#Athlon_XP

I'll look at this website and see if it provides any other tips to get this working. Otherwise, I'm really thinking the processor is bad.

> On my previous computer, I purchased the fastest processor that was
> compatible with the MSI Master K7 motherboard -  an Athlon XP Palomino
> 2100.  Unfortunately this processor had very high cooling requirements
> and was barely stable enough to be useful.  It worked much better with
> the previous 1800.
>
> You also need to make certain you have sufficient cooling on the CPU.
> Athlon XPs run hot and require very good heat sinks & fans.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Scott C.

Thanks for you help and suggestions.

Brian