[TriLUG] Local source for Thinkpad battery?

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sat Jul 1 11:47:39 EDT 2006

On Sat, 1 Jul 2006, Rick DeNatale wrote:

> 1) The guy at batteries plus told me that I might try to find a used
> computer dealer who just might have a used but working battery.

I get all mine from Batteries plus (mine are always in
stock) or ebay, but you have to wait.

I didn't realise this was a problem.

> 3) Is the 40% difference in price worth it to get an LiON instead of a
> NiMH for an older laptop like this?

If you expect to be owning the laptop longer than the
expected life of the battery (about 2yrs), then your
decision has nothing to do with the laptop.

Assuming the charge is 40% more in the LiON, do you need the
extra charge, ie do you run the battery down to zero before
you get a chance to recharge (I carry a 2wire power cable
and 2-to-3pin adapter with me and plug in wherever I can,
even if that means sitting in a corner - if they can't
supply power where it's needed - at a table, then I'm going
to have to sit where the power is)? If the lifetime of the
LiON is 40% more, then you should get it if the cost of
replacing a battery is large (time to do the ordering,
downtime while dont have a battery - but you can always
order ahead).

Joe