[TriLUG] Playing DVD's under Suse 10.1

Matthew Hamlett matthew_hamlett at ncsu.edu
Wed Jul 5 10:43:17 EDT 2006

Hi Everyone,

I have SUSE 10.1 on my laptop and it runs very well, and does about
everything I need.  I have wine installed to run the few Windows
applications that I don't have under Linux.  The only thing I cannot
get working on the SUSE install is the ability to play DVD's.  The
DVD drive is detected and works fine in Linux.  I can mount Data DVD's,
home made DVD's, Cd's and about anything else.  The problem is, whenever
I put a movie DVD in the drive and try to mount it, I get, "cannot
mount: medium not found" error.  it's like linux is refusing to even
acknowledge anything being in the drive.  I was going to try and install
a DVD player in wine so I could play movies, but if I can't even get the
disc to mount, that's not going to help at all.  I'm guessing this is
because of the encryption of the disc.....is there any way for a Linux
user to legitimately play movie dvd's?

Thanks,
Matt