[TriLUG] Openoffice 2 and NFS hang problem

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 10:56:32 EDT 2006

I've got an oocalc file on an NFS mounted file system.

If I try to open it via the open dialog, it hangs when I get to the
directory containing the file.  No files get listed in the dialog box
at all.

I googled around and found the recommendation to find the soffice
script which on my Ubuntu system seems to be at
/usr/lib/openoffice/program/soffice
and comment out the lines

# file locking now enabled by default
SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING=1
export SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING

Which I did, but no joy.  I also tried explicitly setting i.e.

SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING=0
export SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING

to the same effect.

Thinking I could get around the dialog box, I tried invoking oocalc
from the command line with the file name, but it still hangs.

Any ideas?
--
Rick DeNatale

IPMS/USA Region 12 Coordinator