[TriLUG] Firewalls

Jason jason at monsterjam.org
Mon Jul 10 18:28:18 EDT 2006

Current Firewall technology is its Fourth generation and includes such features as

Antivirus: marketing crap! IMHO, not a firewall's job, but clamd with some add-in for your smtp server
will take care of this.
(i run qmail with qmail-scanner and clamav).
Anti-Spyware: uhhh yeah, right, not the firewalls job.
Content Filtering: well, if you want to run a slow proxy server instead of a packet-filtering firewall,
sure. squid + dans guardian if you really want to.
Intrusion Prevention: kinda/sorta could be part of a firewall, but you can run snort on the same server as
the firewall and get the same benefits.

Jason

|    Jason Welsh   jason at monsterjam.org        |
| http://monsterjam.org    DSS PGP: 0x5E30CC98 |