[TriLUG] LDAP provisioning/update best practices

Michael Alan Dorman mdorman at debian.org
Fri Jul 14 11:16:21 EDT 2006

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 10:28:45 -0400
"Rick DeNatale" <rick.denatale at gmail.com> wrote:

> My concern is that ldap, being a mostly read, and lightweight
> "database" lacks some of the facilities for concurrency
> control/transactions.

Using the BDB back-end, OpenLDAP can provide atomicity of
transactions.

> I need to do things like validate that usernames, and userids are
> unique.  It could be done by enumerating the existing values from the
> LDAP directory, but I can't see how to do it, together with the update
> as a transaction.

That, however, I don't believe you can do.  But, really, do you need to
be unique in more than one thing?  If not, and I suspect not, then you
make that your dn, and you simply insert your new record.  If the
insert fails, there was a duplicate, and if it succeeds, there wasn't.

Mike.