[TriLUG] ISCSI SAN

Matt Nash mattnash at intrex.net
Tue Jul 18 11:35:22 EDT 2006

Matt Pusateri wrote:
> Hello Triluger's,
>

> I've been tasked with finding our company a SAN.  Currently we've
> looked at EMC & Lefthandnetworks.  Were leaning towards ISCSI,
> corporate is a complete Windows shop, but we here in Raleigh are
> almost completely Linux.  So I need to find something that plays nice.
>  I thought about using openfiler(iscsi-target) and rolling my own, but
> I don't think corporate will buy into it.  Anyone have any
> suggestions/comments?  Direct experience comments appreciated, as
> opposed to why don't you just use "Samba" comments :) Also if anyone
> has a contact at Netapp let me know, I plan to look at them as well.
>
> Thanks
>
> Matt P.

The company I work for bought 3 Left Hand units in January, and so far
they have worked fine without a hitch.  Even MS plays well with them!
My understanding from the installing technician is that the boxes
themselves are off-the-shelf servers running a specialized Linux OS.
The management console is multiplatform, written in Java, and is very
straightforward and easy to understand.

I haven't tried mounting one of the iSCSI targets on a Linux machine,
but that is an experiment I have planned for when I have run out of work
to do.

Left Hand's technology is pretty interesting, and should be more easily
scaled than EMC.  Not to mention MUCH MUCH cheaper.