[TriLUG] ISCSI SAN

Kevin Flanagan kevin at flanagannc.net
Sun Jul 23 07:08:46 EDT 2006

EMC -
My experience with EMC has been FAR from happy.  We have a handful of
their SAN devices, and 2 of their NAS heads.  Every time you turn around
there's another bit of something that you need to buy on top of the many
dollars you have laid out.

Their "Top NAS guy in the SouthEast" isn't, unless he's learned a lot in
the 2 years since he was at my employer's site.  He was offended when I
had the nerve to run a nessus scan on the NAS devices and management
station, wouldn't answer any of my questions after that.

Very expensive gear, and every disk is about 4X the cost of the same one
from HP, just doesn't have the fancy plastic bezel.

Other -

    Have you looked at HP's offerings?  I haven't looked at ISCSI
specifically from them, but I have always liked their stuff.  We put
together a small SAN for a project of HP devices, cost 1/4th of the EMC
offering.  The StorageWorks family from HP is very "mature", it's what
used to be DEC, then Compaq storage business.

Kevin