[TriLUG] ISCSI SAN

Ben Pitzer bpitzer at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 21:54:26 EDT 2006

Actually, the entire English language support staff is already located
here.  We maintain support centers in the AsiaPac and EMEA regions for local
language support, however.  And I do thank you for your endorsement of our
support organization.  Doing support is a tough job, and it's always good to
hear that your customers think that you're doing well.

As for us being the vendor of choice, we do pretty much run the market on
iSCSI right now, mainly by virtue of the fact that we were instrumental in
the development of the iSCSI protocol, and its release as an open standard.
Additionally, we have spent a great deal of time developing and perfecting
our iSCSI implementation, which many SAN admins have come to swear by.

As for FCP, we've been doing that for quite a while as well, and especially
with our latest releases of our filer operating system, and the future plans
for our equipment, we expect that FCP and iSCSI SAN is going to become a
much larger portion of our business.  I'm one of the FCP guys in our support
group, and I can tell you that we're seriously putting lots of effort into
the development of SAN at NetApp, perhaps more than ever before.  Seriously
take a look at our SAN stuff before recommending EMC, because in many cases,
you'll find that we're not only competetive, we're better.  We also don't
get in the way of you doing the administration of your own storage (radical
concept, I know) the way some companies do.

-Ben Pitzer