[TriLUG] OSS Backup software and mulitple OS clients

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Tue Jul 25 23:37:17 EDT 2006

I checked out BackupPC and my only complaint is that it uses SAMBA to
backup. The data we have to backup we want to keep somewhat hidden, i.e.
no Windows Shares...

I'm looking into Backula at this point, since it has a "Windows
Client"...Anyone used/tried this?

Douglas Hardison wrote:
> Randy Barlow wrote:
>> Hi Roy,
>>
>> 	I use and really like BackupPC.  It works great for clients of all
>> kinds, and supports many protocols for backing up clients (samba, rsync,
>> rsyncd, tar (over ssh).  It also has a pretty nice web interface
>> (requires a web server) to help you restore files.  It does pretty much
>> everything you asked for :)
>>
>> Randy
>>
>> Roy Vestal wrote:
>>
>>> I'm working with a non-profit and am trying to come up with a backup
>>> solution with OSS. Here are the specifics
>>>
>>> 10 Windows XP machines
>>> 1 Linux Samba Linux Server
>>> 1 Mac (OSX) client
>>> 1 Backup Server