[TriLUG] why not IPSec for encryption for wifi

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 09:40:08 EDT 2006

Yes, but your AP doesn't have to be open (i.e. non encrypted).  I had one
set up, albeit briefly, were you would be challenged for a WEP password to
join the network initially (and the password would then be stored in your
profile) but then each time you wanted to use the network you would be
challenged by the capture and release portal.  This helped overcome the
weakness of WEP to keep people out but non-ssl data could still have been
decrypted I suppose.  Anyway, after I moved to WPA I kind of abandoned this
approach.  But it worked really well even though it was more of a test then
anything else.

The most comprehensive suite of information for capture and release on Linux
that I have seen can be found at NoCat (http://nocat.net/).  Tons of useful
information there.

I set up my C-and-R system using M0n0wall firewall software (it's built
in).

It's really a nice system.  In fact I have a wide open network at the outer
banks that I'm going to set up a C and R system on this fall.  I average
about 100 users a day on that network so it needs a system put in place.
Badly.