[TriLUG] wildcards in /etc/aliases

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 12:49:40 EDT 2006

On 7/26/06, Brian Henning <brian at strutmasters.com> wrote:
> Woo-hoo to self-replying..  Anyway, if anyone else wishes to perform
> such silliness, here's what I came up with to accomplish my goal.
>
> There aren't really wildcards in /etc/aliases (that I could find), but
> according to the aliases manpage: "...When  alias database search fails,
> and the recipient localpart contains the optional recipient delimiter
> (e.g., user+foo), the search is repeated for the unextended address
> (e.g., user)."
>
> So, I changed my scheme to "unsub+nnnn" and aliased "unsub", with
> positive results.

Note, btw, that dash "-" is the default recipient delimiter for qmail
and on postfix it is configurable.  Personally, I prefer using - as
the recipient delimiter because a lot of sites on the net disallow
pluses "+" in their e-mail input fields but they all allow dashes.

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace