[TriLUG] AMD vs. Intel

Charles Fischer fischer at 4pi.com
Fri Jul 28 09:55:59 EDT 2006

For full disclosure, I am writing this on a system with 2 AMD Opteron
265 dual core processors.

If I built a system with just two CPU cores today I would use the Intel
Core 2 Duo CPU.  From the benchmarks it looks like the new Intel chip
has lower power consummation and faster execution then the AMD chips.  I
have not seen measurements for power consummation for populated
motherboards, so I am not sure that power should be a deciding factor.

For systems with 4 or more cores I would still buy the AMD Opteron
CPUs.  I like the Opteron 275HE low power version.  The 275HEs are very
fast and rated at only 55 watts.  For comparison the low power dual core
Xeons are 65 watts.

If given a choice I would put off buying a new system until AMD moves to
65-nm technology.  AMD will be more competitive after the move to 65-nm.

-Charles Fischer