[TriLUG] AMD vs. Intel

Kevin Flanagan kevin at flanagannc.net
Fri Jul 28 21:58:38 EDT 2006

That would have to fall in the "that depends" category.

What would you be doing with the system, for a laptop, I see that HP now
has a Turion 64Bit laptop, interesting if you could take advantage of
the processor.

If you are using much CPU to Memory transfer intensive applications,
then AMD has the edge, otherwise I don't think that it matters as much.

What about the other stuff, that says more in many cases.

What disks are available, SATA, or PATA, or SCSI?
What Video subsystem suits your needs best?
How much RAM can you get for the system in question?

As usual, there's a lot more to the "best" answer, generally I think
that if you get a top tier system now it's likely enough for 95% or more
of folks, unless you're just that kind of geek who needs to spec out
every last detail.

Then there's cost.....

Kevin