[TriLUG] Current best anti-spam: Baraccuda/SpamAssassain/etc.

OlsonE at aosa.army.mil OlsonE at aosa.army.mil
Mon Jul 31 11:01:59 EDT 2006

The only drawback I really saw was getting users to check their
"Postini" ...i.e, when UserA says ..."UserB ...I sent you an e-mail, did
you get it". UserB says "No, it must be stuck in my Postini" ...then
calling the Help Desk to complain they're not getting mail.

Also, it takes some playing around with...i.e, adding users to your
whitelist / blacklist... Or whitelisting/blacklisting an entire domain.

One of the sweet things we did, is once an employee was terminated, we
added that user's e-mail address on the "blacklist". So any inbound
e-mail would automatically be rejected at Postini's level ...rather than
reaching our own mailservers. User defined filters also help out a lot
...as the user can set the huerstics as high or as low as they want
(default is high for all categories). If something accidentally gets
flagged as spam, or spam makes it through... Forward it to postini
(there's a special e-mail address for this)... And it usually gets added
into the spam filters pretty quickly.

There's also a nice bit of eye candy, in the form of graphs / charts
...and such that you're able to view so you know its working for you
(from a web interface -- which is also what the users will use to "check
their spam" -- but on a more scaled down version.

Since they charge "per user", you have to make sure your user accounting
is kept up to date in Postini, otherwise you'll find yourself being
charged for a user who's no longer with the company. They do offer a
30-day trial ...in which at the end of the 30 days, you can choose to go
live -- which worked out great for us ...because it was already
implemented, and all our users / etc were migrated.

Its worth the 30-45 minutes for the phone conference / demo that they
have ...to view it.