[TriLUG] OSS Backup software and mulitple OS clients - Got it working

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Mon Jul 31 22:42:36 EDT 2006

Well, I got it working.  And once it's setup, it's quite nice. I'm going
to set this up to backup to a NAS.

Here are the nuts and bolts:

- CentOS 4.3
- Compiled Bacula 1.38.11. Note - Could not get the rpms to work, nor
the src.rpm to recompile without having to barf the libs , so don't mess
with the rpms or src.rpm. Compile from the tarball or roll your own rpm.
- PostgreSQL 7.3 ("stock" in CentOS)
- Windows Client 1.38.11

The secret is in the sauce....err, config files.  The documentation is
clunky, but if you poke around, you'll find it. The big file to learn is
the bacula-dir.conf file. Once you learn its syntax, you're golden.
Also, the password in the "client" section(s) (one per client) have to
match the clients bacula-fd.conf file password. However, the password in
the bconsole.conf file has to be the bacula directors password. Check
out the authrntication errors FAQ for a pretty little diagram. The
password functionality is not altogether straight forward.

The Windows client has a nice restore feature, all gui for my Windows
users, and restores the files to any dir you wish on the Windows
machine. You don't have to back it up to the bacula server then move it
if you wish.

All in all, I like this product BETTER than Amanda/Zmanda, BackupPC, and
CWRSync backups I've used for cross platform. Just my personal opinion,
not a flame.

Oh, and Mac guys, supposedly the linux client will run in Fink. I don't
have a Mac (yet) so I cannot test that.

Anywho, My recommendation for OSS is to use Bacula....until something
better comes along!

Roy