[TriLUG] TCO - Linux, UNIX, and MS

Jim Ray jim at neuse.net
Tue Aug 1 10:57:52 EDT 2006

the single most important factor in tco is labor as opposed to licensing
costs or any other factor.  labor comes in two varieties:

1. how much time does it take to implement (installation, configuration
and patches)
2. how much time does it take to use (ease of use, end user training)

a break even point occurs when companies reach the number of users where
the client access licenses for something like winders cost the same as
the labor to implement and use for something like linux.

Regards,

Jim

Jim Ray, President
Neuse River Networks