[TriLUG] TCO - Linux, UNIX, and MS

David McDowell turnpike420 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 18:27:13 EDT 2006

We are a mixed environment and find benefit from running Microsoft AD
for single sign-on, Exchange and for some 3rd party software packages
which require Microsoft AD for user/group sync and MSSQL for their
database.  However, we also leverage Linux for web services, SMB PDF,
systems monitoring and a variety of other small tools.  I find a mixed
environment gives you the best of all worlds.  It all depends on what
your needs are vs. what you are willing to sacrifice.  I believe if
you are 100% Microsoft or 100% Linux, you "may" be missing out on a
feature/application which you could find beneficial to your
organization.  One example of such is here, if we were 100% Microsoft,
I'd have to use IIS (yikes) and I'd lose the benefit of Apache on
Linux.  What was I able to do?  Integrate!!:
http://www.turnpike420.net/linux/Apache_PHP_FreeTDS_MSSQL2000.txt
If I was a 100% Linux shop, I wouldn't have a tool such as Exchange
(which our organization feels is beneficial) or other tools such as
Adobe InDesign or Photoshop.  But oh, I can have those on OSX... yes,
but not if I'm a 100% Linux shop.  :)  It's a give and take and with a
little knowledge (ok, probably a lot) integration CAN work and you get
the best of both worlds.

yeah!
David McD