[TriLUG] OT: Quiet SCSI drive

OlsonE at aosa.army.mil OlsonE at aosa.army.mil
Fri Aug 4 14:33:35 EDT 2006

U160 Ultra-wide?

-----Original Message-----
From: trilug-bounces at trilug.org [mailto:trilug-bounces at trilug.org] On
Behalf Of Owen Berry
Sent: Friday, August 04, 2006 2:21 PM
To: Triangle Linux Users Group
Subject: [TriLUG] OT: Quiet SCSI drive

I have a Sun Ultra Enterprise 2 sitting under my desk, as a free gift
from my company due to lack of use. Nothing great, but it has 2 network
cards, dual processor, and 1G memory. Only problem is that it has 2 SCSI
drives that are so noisy that people from across the passage came to see
what was going on the first time I started it up.

Is it possible to get a relatively quiet SCSI drive that wouldn't be a
noise polluter sitting under my desk? And if so, what should I be
looking for? I don't need anything large ... just enough to get a basic
Linux or BSD server running.

TIA,
Owen