[TriLUG] linksys WRT54g v.5

Adam Guthrie ispiked at gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 20:59:27 EDT 2006

Cristobal Palmer wrote:
> Two-part question:
>
> I've heard that the v.5 WRTs have a nasty habit of resetting if you're
> doing something like voip. I'm wondering (1) if this happens with just
> normal home use. I'm looking here for responses from people with
> direct experience with v.5 WRTs.
>
> (2) For putting Linux (dd-wrt) on a v.5, any gotchas or caveats? Is
> this a good walkthrough:
> http://www.bitsum.com/openwiking/owbase/ow.asp?WRT54G5%5FCFE#h6 ?

I would advise against buying one of these. I have no idea
how they handle VOIP, but they are unstable enough without
even using that.

My roommate and I put dd-wrt on ours about half-way through
the summer. I honestly can't say that it's any better than
the default firmware. It might have more configuration
options, but it still randomly disconnects and refuses to
allow me to reconnect for a good 10 minutes.

This router has caused me a lot of pain over the summer, and
if I'd discovered what an utter POS it was earlier, I
probably would've considered buying a new router.

-Adam