[TriLUG] I see an exchange server in my future

David McDowell turnpike420 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 13:00:30 EDT 2006

There are some battles you have to choose to fight.  I faced the same
issue 3 years ago exactly at my current job.  They had offsite hosted
POP3 to Outlook PST files on their local machines.  The previous admin
(a 100% non Linux person) had pointed them on the path to Exchange.  I
knew I could give them in house IMAP using Postfix for centralized
email storage/backups, but that simply wasn't enough.  There are
supposed to be calendar plugins to web front-ends like squirrelmail
but I've never used them.  At the time, I think there was something
being developed called Hula???  SuSE's product was available then...
but I personally didn't like it, nor can I stand YaST.  At any rate,
after a little research, to meet all the requirements asked for,
Exchange/Outlook was the best solution... and it helped that we
already had Active Directory... *shrugs* so I've found other ways to
utilize Linux... when I arrived at this job there were 5 Win servers,
now we have 15 servers and 6 are Linux!  w00t!