[TriLUG] Is it Really Dead?

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Mon Aug 7 08:55:51 EDT 2006

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006, Ron Young wrote:

> Thanks Joe.  I did attempt to locate such a battery and took the thing nearly
> completely apart.  I even had the keyboard out.  Do you have any idea where
> the batter is located in this model?

no. The downloadable manual from IBM tells you where
everything is and how to get to it. If you have such
information, it will be a lot easier. Some machines you have
to almost send them back to the dealer to have a new battery
put in.

The IBM manuals don't tell you the symptoms of a dead CMOS
battery. Mine behaved like it had really bad problems - I'd
wondered if it had been dropped or some circuit board had
cracked. The machine was about 8yrs old and I think I
confirmed the CMOS battery was the problem by going to the
CMOS screen on bootup - which I had to look up how to do -
and which didn't really work as advertised - because the
CMOS battery was flat and then putting sensible entries and
then it would boot (until you powered it down again).

Joe