[TriLUG] anyone ruuning Ubuntu server on a PowerPC unit?

Ken Mink ken.mink at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 11:26:42 EDT 2006

On 8/2/06, Greg Brown <gwbrown1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Were standard packages able to be loaded and used such as Squid and MySql?
> Did you run into any "gotchas" using something other then an Intel core?
>
> Greg

Hey Greg,
  Sorry for the slow response. I was running Ubuntu server on an old B&W G3
Mac. The only problem I had, and it caused me to switch back to x86, was
that the IDE chipset seem to have some real problems. I could only get it
stable by turning off DMA support for the hard drives. Then the disk access
was too slow to be really usable for me.

  Apart from the disk performance, using it was indistinguishable from an
x86 server. All the standard packages are available. I didn't use squid, so
I can't answer to that. I used the box as a smtp, http, mysql, imap and
samba sever. From a software point of view, it's fine.

Ken